Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Knit Knit Knit

I love to knit, but I do get bored with my projects. It makes my boyfriend so mad to have projects half finished piling up in my crafting corner. I am constantly finding cute new patterns to try and so I start them, get half way done, find a new pattern or a better yarn and pick up a new project. The old ones never get finished and I am starting to run out of spare   needles and stitch holders to put them on. 

I started with scarves when I got back into knitting when my grandma passed away. But they get old fast. I then went on to socks. I started by knitting them flat. They turned out rather well. 

This pair is knit with one strand of pink and one strand of blue. I knit them for a girl at work. I made one pink one and one blue one, but neither of them fit and I never made their mates. Eventually they were both tossed in the garbage. Trying to find fun patterns for flat socks isn't easy and I wanted to make socks made with actual sock yarn. I made the mistake of buying a circular needle not realizing that a 29" needle isn't going to work for socks unless I was knitting for the Green Giant. 

It took a while for me to figure out how to knit in the round but when I did I went and bought some sock yarn by Sassy Stripes. My first real sock was born. I never did finish its mate either. I started the ribbing for the ankle when my kitten chewed my plastic dpn in half, plus I didn't like the way the first sock fit anyway. 

I made a few cat toys filled with catnip. My girls were trying to get them before I even sewed them up, but they loved them, although my boyfriend said they looked like tampons, hmmm?
I started a few other random things, kitchen towels, rags, collars for my cats, and I made one fingerless mitten, another thing my DB (dear boyfriend) said was silly, as was one of the first clothing pieces I made.

It was horrid. I was bright rainbow colors and I had no pattern. I didn't realize that I couldn't make clothing without a pattern unlike I do when I sew. I frogged it and ripped it all out, it was lots of ripping and ripping and ripping. Took almost a whole day to rip out the two panels I made and wind them up. My first pattened tank was a success although I didn't like the yarn that I used. Forest green is not my color. It will be gifted this Christmas. I started the same tank in an off white, much more my style, but I still have a long way to go on that one. Some day it will be finished and pictures will soon be to follow. Now its time to go back to work on my newest frustrating project!

No comments:

Post a Comment